Sunday, March 16, 2014

23 years ago today(ish)....

I remember it like it was yesterday. Although the date in 1991 was the 17th, it was a Sunday night- just like today. It was 6:50ish or 7:50ish- I can't remember if we started at 6:00pm or 7:00pm. I sat on the left hand side of the room toward the front. Seems like it was the 3rd or 4th row back.
My heart started pounding.
The room went silent except for the sound of knocking...... knock.....knock...
Everything almost seemed to be in slow motion.
Then the tears started streaming...... I grabbed my daddy's hand.
I was 6 years old- almost 7.
"What is it," my daddy asked.
"I don't know- I just have to go up." Tears streaming down my face all the time.

"Amazing grace,
How sweet the sound,
That saved a wretch like me.
I once was lost,
but now I'm found.
Was blind,
but now, I see."
As we walked around the left side of the pew, between it and the wall, we approached the front and the preacher, Johnny, came down. He knelt down and asked me what was wrong. I told him I didn't know but I know I needed Jesus. He asked me some questions and then we prayed together. Right there, right then, knealed down beside a wooden table with a artificial fern placed on top, I asked Jesus to be Lord of my life.

 23 years ago today!

We had been at revival and our preacher, Johnny, had been preaching. He was jumping the pews, running up and down the aisles telling us we needed Jesus. I miss those ole days at church. When preachers told it how it was and more concerned with souls than their salary.

 I do not even remember the rest of the service. I do not remember what the weather was like. I do not remember what I was wearing, other than it was red. I don't even remember paying that much attention. But I do remember when reality hit me-in an instant- I was going to die and go to hell if I did not have Jesus. And then like I told you above, it was like everything went into slow motion. I can still feel how my heart hurt as I am sitting here typing this. I remember walking out of the church and the days that followed. I wanted to find out all I could about Jesus and His life. And that I still try to do.

Just after my "salvation day" I asked for a Bible. And I got one when I made the A honor roll in the few weeks that followed. And a necklace come with it. I still have both of those things. My mom and dad got them for me and I cherish them greatly! I am grateful for how they raised us and the example they set for us.

The last 23 years have not been easy, I'm not going to lie. I have questioned myself, my salvation and God more times than I care to admit. But with my heart of hearts I KNOW without a doubt that I am His! I have failed Him over and over and over again- but He has always been there! Never left! Never lied! He was there!

(As I sit here writing this- I am just a crying! I am listening to praise and worship music and "Amazing Grace- My Chains Are Gone" by Chris Tomlin JUST CAME ON! This was not around when I got saved but I just love how God makes Himself personal to us.It has the words to the original Amazing Grace at the beginning- that is what we were singing when I got saved. =)I can never express to you how much my Jesus means to me!)

If you don't know Jesus- you don't know living. You see I went my own way. Did things how I wanted. Lived however I wanted and I can tell you it was empty, lonely and scary. Even after being saved at a young age- in my teens I told Jesus I wanted to try it my OWN way. And that I did. It was NOTHING it was cracked up to be! Jesus was there waiting for me to come back, waiting for me to admit I needed Him. Then again in my twenties when me and my husband were having marriage issues, I got mad at God and turned my back on Him. Yet again, He kept telling me He loved me and was waiting for me to come back. I never lost my salvation- I just didn't want it for a while. I told God to leave me alone. (Sad to say it. But it was true at the time.) He was always there nudging my heart and waiting for me to return. So thankful He didn't just tell me, fine then- go on- I don't care about you anyway! No He didn't- PRAISE GOD! He kept reminding me He loved me and wanted the best for me if I would just listen and wait on Him.

Jesus has not always gave me everything I asked for, wanted or prayed for but He has always given me the best. When He has delayed I have seen why later. When He said no and I got mad and pitched a fit asking why He didn't love me, He didn't give in- He loves me more than that. Then later I seen why. I was getting myself in a mess!

Jesus loves you too. If you are scared to give in because you will have to "give up the things you love" let me tell you. You will not be loosing ANYTHING! Jesus is the ultimate high! Is He knocking at your heart?? Listen to Him- I promise you  will not regret it!


To accept Jesus as your personal Savior:
The Bible tells us that
 "All have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God." (Romans 3:23)
"For the wages of sin is death but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord." (Romans 6:23)
"And Jesus said unto him, "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God." (John 3:3)
"Jesus said to him, "I am the way the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me." (John 14:6)

"That if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. For the Scripture says, "Whoever believes on Him will not be put to shame." .... "For whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved." (Romans 10:9-13)

"Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to His mercy He saved us, through the washing of regeneration and renewing of the Holy Spirit, whom He poured out on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Savior, that having been justified by His grace we should become heirs according to the hop of eternal life." Titus 3:5-7

"But we are all like an unclean thing, and all our righteousness are like filthy rags; We all fade as a leaf, And our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away." (Isaiah 64:6)

"Therefore be zealous and repent. Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with Me. To him who overcomes I will grant to sit with Me on My throne, as I also overcame and sat down with My father on His throne." (Revelation 3:20)



I love you so much Lord. Thank you for saving me. Thank you for sending Jesus. Thank you for never giving up on me. Lord I pray for those reading this now. If they do not know you God please show them right now, where ever they are that you ARE REAL and you love them. God show them NOW I pray! In Jesus name I pray! Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey There- It's Been A While!

Well hey there dear! How you been? Hasn't our world been just crazy here lately!? So much has happened since I last posted but I have tr...