Wednesday, September 4, 2019

My Social Media Addiction

Do you ever ask a question and then you wish you would not have asked it? Maybe you are afraid of the answer you may get. Maybe you ask and do not expect to get an answer that throws you for a loop. The later was what I got when I asked God this question, "Why do I feel like I am all over the place? I know that you are supposed to give me a path to walk on but why can I not see the path? Why do I feel like I am tossed over here then to feel like I should be over there? This is the answer I got.
God is not the author of confusion.(1 Corinthians 14:33) Well, yeah I knew that! If I am feeling confused though even when I am seeking God, what does that mean? It means something is not right, somewhere. 

For me I NEVER EVER EVER would have expected my problem to be social media. After all, I was giving God glory for every good thing that was happening in my life. To be totally honest I did not intend on sinning when I was posting. I thought I was just sharing my life! Now a days nobody ever calls anyone or texts or let alone go out and do things together. So posting my life on social media is what everybody else was doing, seems I should do it too. At least that way I get a short spark of "connected-ness" when someone comments or likes my post. But why was I feeling so, so, not myself?

I have taken breaks from social media on and off for years. Everybody teases me, you do this once or twice a year. And they were right, I did. I would get frustrated at what social media has made our relationships that I would "break up" with it all. After a week or two, I would be right back on the platforms again. So what is different this time?

God convicted me, that's what. Every time I post that picture showing that something new I just bought, God calls that boasting. Every time I looked at a post that showed someone else's kid getting an award for something, I thought, "well my kid has BEEN doing that!"- Hello pride. Someone else posted they were working out in the gym and they were getting that body I secretly wanted, hello lust. Every time someone posted that they were on a date with their spouse, it made me feel a little less appreciative of my spouse- hello envy. I was feeding my people pleasing addiction, let me post that, come back in 5 minutes to see how many likes I got! Do you see????? I was committing all of these sins, with absolutely no intention of doing it but whether I was meaning to or not, it is sin!!!

The very first day without social media, I literally went to pick up my phone at least a dozen times to check it. Thank goodness I had deleted the apps off of my phone or I think I would have went right back on there. Here I am 3 days in and I can not believe how much less stressed I feel. It is almost like a weight has been lifted off of me!!!

I won't see how my life isn't perfect compared to someone else's. I will not see that mom who is cooking every single meal and it leave me feeling like a bad mom. I will not see.........AND THAT IS THE POINT!!! The devil attacks our minds by things we see and things we hear. You let ONE rat sneak in a haystack and I promise you soon enough you will be overridden with mice! Same is true with our minds. We have to be oh so careful what we let in and social media has taken our minds over. 

Those little times that you are "bored" and you pull out that device to scroll aimlessly on social media, that is what we used to call a God vacuum. Those silent moments we have in our day that we COULD USE to pray, meditate on God's word or just to listen to if He has anything for us have been replaced to fill our minds with all of these "less than" emotions we get from social media. I am not saying all who use social media are doomed to hell or that they are even sinning, but I caution you, it is soooooo easy to sin without realizing that is what we are doing.

I challenge you, take a week off. Ask God to convict you if there is something about your social media habit He doesn't like. I am totally amazed by the difference I feel in just 3 days! This time it is different. I feel like I have been set free!!

P.S. I allow one day per week (Sunday) to get on

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey There- It's Been A While!

Well hey there dear! How you been? Hasn't our world been just crazy here lately!? So much has happened since I last posted but I have tr...