Thursday, March 13, 2014

Social Media Camouflage/ Tell Truth Thursday

"I just can't stand her/him. All she/he ever puts on her/his Facebook/Twitter (you fill in the  blank) is pictures of her/his projects, house, work and kids getting awards!! Well I got news for her/him! We all know how she/he REALLY is!"

You ever heard a conversation something like this? I bet ya have. Maybe even been the one doing the commenting. Truth is I have been apart of one of these conversations myself. Can't believe I am admitting it?? Well guess what!? I am going to do a whole lot more admitting than that! [...]
 You read social media and you see pictures and posts of people bragging on themselves all the time. Shoot! Everybody does it! You want for people to see what is going on in your life. And what are you going to show them? The best of course!!! Nobody wants to have their drama put on display!! But the truth is we all have it! Weaknesses, things we struggle with, secrets, faults, the list goes on and on!

But it seems here lately that I have been reading a lot of things that have continuously been bringing this to my attention. Take for instance this comment:
"One of the main reasons we struggle with insecurity: We're comparing our behind- the-scenes with everybody else's highlight reel." *
Why is it we want for ourselves to be perfect? NOBODY is! But yet we try to portray as if we always have it all together. We all have a "ugly" side. Things we do not want to come to light. Things we don't post on social media. Social media is a chance to put "the best foot forward". A camouflage if you will. People only find out about the things you post. But just remember, when you start making comments about what other people put on their accounts, you have stuff in hiding too. And so do I!

Satan likes to feed us lies. Lies like, "You are the only one that struggles with that." "If anyone found out that you were like that, they would not want anything to do with you." I am sure you can think of more because I am sure he lies to you a lot too. The problem is, as long as you keep things in the dark, he will continue to feed you lies. So today, I am going to bring some things to the light! You want to see the REAL ME- well here is your chance!!

Confession #1:
 I HATE to do the laundry! HATE IT! Would rather burn it and go buy more! WHY? Because it is never ALWAYS done. Think about it. You can have every piece in the laundry basket done but when you go to bed tonight, there is more! And you know what!? My laundry doesn't always make it to the laundry basket!

Confession #2: Because I hate to do the laundry there are times when you will find piles of unfolded laundry in my house! Like last night, I emptied the dryer and just threw it on the couch! Guess what else!? This morning it is still there. I'll get to it sometime today. Maybe!

Confession #3: Sometimes I go to bed when there are still dirty dishes in my sink! WHHHAAATTT????!!! Yep you heard me right!

Confession #4- Sometimes I don't read my Bible everyday! I try my best to do it everyday but sometimes I don't! That is why I am doing the 3030 challenge that Joyce Meyer is doing!

Point of these confessions- I am a human being. I do not have everything "figured out". I am not perfect. I am not a Martha Stewart homemaker. I am not a perfect mama. I loose my temper. I get upset. Somedays I stay in my pj's all day LONG! And just because I do these things, or lack to do some things- it does not make me any less of a person. These things do not define who I am. And your faults should not define who you are! Can we pretend they are not there? Yeah. But we will be doing ourselves a great injustice. Acknowledge that we have them, work on making things better, and MOVE ON!! WHO CARES!!!! Now you maybe asking, "Arn't you afraid people will judge you for posting these pictures?" And truthfully, I had to think before doing it but it just proves my point. We do not want for people to see that we are not perfect. I know that you have things you hide too. You may not post them on the internet for the world to see but you have them! And if you judge me because of some laundry in the floor, on the couch and dishes on the sink, I am not the one with the issues. :) Seriously, who cares if you do judge me!? :)

You see, God knew we were all messed up! That is why He sent Jesus. We can not get to heaven on our on. We can't earn it. Can't be good enough. It is a gift we have to accept. WHY? Because if we could do something to earn it then we could brag about it! But guess what else!

GOD LOVES YOU HOW YOU ARE! MESSED UP AND ALL! Just like He loves my messed up self! I think God everyday for that!

You do not have to put on a show for Him. In fact, He sees it all anyway!

So how about you? You have some things you want to bring to light? It will not weigh on your heart so bad if you just get it out there. How is the real you? You seen the real me! :)

 I am starting a new "thing" (for lack of better wording! ;) ) It is called Tell Truth Thursday! Here is how it works! You can only tell the truth about yourself. Remember to keep things appropriate. (I reserve the right to remove anything offensive.) Tag your post #telltruththursday It can be something you struggle with, something you wish people knew about you, something you are tired of hiding. Make sure you grab my button and put it at the end of your post so others can get in on the Truth telling as well!

May you find healing in telling the truth!

Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective. James 5:16

Things that stay in the dark Satan knows he can use them against us.




This post was written in response to Tell Truth Thursday at


* From Crash the Chatterbox by Steven Furtick; Multnomah Books; Colorado Springs, Colorado 2014 p. 34 (I was given a free copy of this book to review).




2 comments:

  1. I can so relate to this. It's hard to be completely honest on social media because you don't want to be judged or criticized. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it is a shame isn't it Betsy. That is what I am talking about. We all have moments so why do we try so hard to pretend we don't and everybody else doesn't. Crazy!

      Delete

Hey There- It's Been A While!

Well hey there dear! How you been? Hasn't our world been just crazy here lately!? So much has happened since I last posted but I have tr...